Wednesday, November 21, 2018

2018 Final Notes and End-of-Season Reflections

This past Saturday marked the official end of the 2018 season with a party at the Hollisters' home. There was lots of delicious food to be eaten, including everything from ribs and salad to s'mores for dessert. Coach Shirley presented the runners with pins and handed out awards, and once again recognized every senior and their contributions to the team throughout the course of their cross-country careers.

The Top Male Runner and Top Female Runner Awards went to Joshua Deitrich ('19) and Hannah Ye ('21). Josh finished first on the team in every race this season except one. These awards were based on the points awarded after each race, and also on the consistency of these runners to finish top on the team. Andrew Tanyous ('22) and Abi Phillips ('21) received the Most Improved Runner Awards and were recognized for their outstanding progress this season. The Coaches' Awards went to Faith Hollister ('22) and Captain Micah Pope ('19) for their significant contributions to the team, either in scoring or in leadership.

As Coach said, while our team did not necessarily meet our goals for the season, we faced a lot of injury and adversity. We worked through it and rested when necessary, and most of us were able to finish out the season strong. We will be sad to see our five amazing seniors go, but we are looking forward to getting some new runners coming up from the middle school team.

Personally, I've enjoyed seeing our team grow stronger this season. I couldn't run most of the season, but I learned a lot just by being out there with the team every day. I am so grateful to the coaches and the team for constant encouragement from the first day of practice when I showed up in a boot to the final race where I was happy to be able to finish. I used to run with the intention of always improving, and I had the feeling of failure whenever a race did not go as expected. I used to get so nervous before every race; always dwelling on the 'what-ifs.' Being forced to take a break from running helped me see it differently. I've realized just how blessed I am to even have the ability and the opportunity to run. I've learned that cross country isn't just about running, but about encouraging your teammates, being there for them when they're struggling, and praying for them. Running has shaped me in ways I never imagined it would.

I guess that's a wrap! Thank you to all the parents, for cheering for and supporting each and every one of us runners; to Coach Paul Shirley and Coach Megan Gerhart, for preparing us, motivating us, listening to us, and pushing us to always do our best to the honor and glory of God; and to all my wonderful teammates, for your constant encouragement and all your contributions to the team's character and positive attitude in the face of adversity. I am sad to see our seniors go, but I am looking forward to coming back and running next year. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for Red Lion Cross Country!

Katie

"Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people and the sheep of his pasture. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations."
-- Psalm 100 (ESV)

1 comment: